Sláinte! Cheers, it is St. Patrick’s day! Even if you are not Irish, it can still be fun to celebrate with your lucky dog. While there won’t be many parades this year, you can enjoy spoiling your dog, treating yourself, and helping dogs in need!
Many dog bakeries in your local area will celebrate this March holiday by making specialty dog biscuits in the shape of shamrocks, pots of gold, or even mini-leprechauns. But if you can’t make it out to a store, you can easily bake your own St. Patrick’s-themed treats right at home! Try this healthy and GREEN recipe:
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup of cooked peas (canned or frozen)
1 cup of spinach
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 additional egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the dry ingredients in a big bowl
- Puree the Peas and the Spinach together in a blender or food processor
- Add the green mix to the dry mix, and then add 1 egg
- Blend it all together until it forms a dough
- Cover your bowl, or wrap your dough and chill for 20 – 30 minutes
- After it’s chilled, sprinkle it with flour and roll it out to between 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick, then cut into fun shapes!
- After you place them on a cookie sheet you can lightly egg wash them to make them shiny.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, let cool, and watch your dog dig in!
“Even if you are not Irish, it can still be fun to celebrate with your dog!“
While your dog enjoys his treats, do some online shopping for you. You can feel good wearing this cool, limited edition t-shirt sold by iHeartDogs for St. Patrick’s day. Each shirt purchased will feed 3 shelter dogs through their partnership with RescueBankⓇ. This organization facilitates the delivery of donated dog food to pre-qualified non-profit groups and shelters. So you can look great in green on St. Patrick’s day while helping a great cause!
As the saying goes, everybody is Irish on St. Patrick’s day! That goes for your lucky dog, too!
“May your day be touched by a bit of Irish luck, brightened by a song in your heart, and warmed by the smiles of the people you love.” – Irish Blessing