Did you know that March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month? As much as we love our furry friends, we must remember that our homes and the outside world can be filled with dangerous toxins and poisonous substances that can harm our dogs.
So, how can we prevent accidental poisoning and keep our beloved dogs safe? Here are a few tips:
KEEP HAZARDOUS ITEMS OUT OF REACH AND PROPERLY STORED
Many common household items can be toxic to our dogs if ingested, such as cleaning products, medications, and certain foods. It is important to keep these items out of reach and properly stored. Make sure to store cleaning products and chemicals in a secure cabinet or closet that your dog can’t access. Keep medications in a safe place, and be sure to pick up any dropped pills right away. And when it comes to food, avoid giving your dog anything that could be harmful or toxic, such as chocolate, grapes, and onions.
KEEP YOUR DOG AWAY FROM SPILLED ANTIFREEZE, PESTICIDES, AND HERBICIDES
There are some common toxic items your dog might encounter when out on a walk or at the dog park that you should keep a look out for. One of the most common dangers is antifreeze, which contains a sweet-tasting substance that can be attractive to dogs but is highly toxic. Keep your dog away from any spills or leaks, and make sure to clean up any spills in your own garage or driveway.
Another danger to watch out for is pesticides and herbicides. These chemicals can be harmful if ingested, so keep your dog away from treated areas and be cautious when using these products around your own yard. And if you’re going to a public park or area, check with the local authorities to see if any treatments – including rodenticides – have been recently applied. Rodenticides are used to control rodents, but they can be harmful if ingested by dogs.
“…when it comes to food, avoid giving your dog anything that could be harmful or toxic, such as chocolate, grapes, and onions.“
KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR DOG!
Be mindful of what your dog is sniffing around. Dogs are curious by nature, and they might encounter things like poisonous plants or mushrooms. Likewise, dogs love to dig through trash, but trashcans and dumpsters can be dangerous if there are toxic items in the trash, such as cleaning products or spoiled food. Also, wild animals can carry diseases or toxins that can be harmful to dogs. Keep your dog away from any dead animals or animal droppings, and be cautious when walking in areas where wild animals are known to live.
It’s important to be vigilant and keep your dog away from any areas or items that could be harmful. Accidental poisoning can happen in an instant, but with a few simple precautions, we can prevent it from happening to our four-legged friends. So, let’s take the time to educate ourselves and keep our dogs safe this National Pet Poison Prevention Month and beyond!
And, always, if you suspect that your dog has ingested something toxic, contact your veterinarian right away or call the Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Photo by Aleksandr Zotov from Getty Images
If you enjoyed this post, you should read First Aid Basics To Help Your Dog In An Emergency here.
Do you have the number for the Animal Poison Control Center handy?